The itinerary for Iceland is only ever an outline until closer to our travel dates.
When we travel off-road weather conditions, river flow and ice can force changes to our plans at short notice and on a daily basis. That is where your training with Overland Experts comes in! The goal is to do a “loop” of the interior. This loop will be around 12 glaciers concentrated in the south central and eastern region.
- Sunday morning take bus into Reykjavík and pick up vehicles.
- Drive out of the city heading north toward Reykholt
- pass by whaling station to see and tour. (like it or not this is part of life here – no money or support for whaling will come from our visit and you are welcome to not like it – but the education is not to be missed).
- Head east and north to drive over the north end of Langjokull Glacier
- Hut for the night. Dinner cooked by Bruce and the team – pitch in if you like. Grilled local salmon and Arctic Char. (As with all our meals a vegetarian option is no problem).
- Reasonable wake hour. Hot spring bath and breakfast
- Pack up and head out to finish crossing north end of glacier.
- Head south for some time to a beautiful valley for a hike and lunch.
- After lunch head east towards Kerlingarfjoll and then north east to hut near larger glacier Hofsjokull.
- Early in and time for hike, reading, chatting, etc.
- Dinner at hut, outside if conditions allow. Dinner Fish chowder with local fresh bread.
- Early raise
- Breakfast after we leave in open landscape.
- Make way south west and then east toward the river Thjorsa.
- Lunch and hike near river and extinct volcanoes
- short afternoon drive to mountain hut
- time for hike or relax.
- Dinner Reindeer Stroganoff with Loganberry
- long epic drive to the big glacier.
- Early start and breakfast at Hut
- Work our way north/northeast towards the largest glacier in Europe. Vatnajokull
- make our way into an area between the big glacier and a very small one called Tungjafellsjokull. This area is spectacular
- reverse direction as there is only one way in and one way out and head south and attempt to reach the same hut as Tues night.
- reasonable wake and breakfast. Wheels up by 10am
- head south towards Lake Thorisvatn
- Lunch lake side – amazing!
- Short drive to a great hiking spot.
- Make way to a spectacular (my favorite) valley Landmannalaugar
- Dinner grilled Leg of lamb specialty of the guides. Hut has fantastic Natural hot springs for after dinner “hot pot” and northern lights.
- Wheels up 9am, making way to Thorsmok Valley
- Head East then South and West to a pass between Glacier Mydrolsjokull and Torfajokull. This valley is stunning an unique.
- Drop into Thorsmik by crossing river Markarllot as well as many many other rivers. If conditions allow.
- Conditions good we turn north to a hike n a valley at the foot of glacier and volcano Eyafjallajokull (big one that closed flights to and from EU for so long)
- Night at Hut at top of Thorsmok Valley.
- Late morning.
- Head short distance to a nice hike (should you want to).
- South out of Thorsmok Valley
- Cross to south coast for a time on the beaches.
- Here we pick up tarmac roads. Air up tires and head west for Lunch at my favorite Lobster Soup restaurant.
- After lunch west over a pass and a visit to a geothermal power plant.
- Into Reykjavik, drop off Land Rover by 4pm.
- Dinner out at restaurant (together or apart – cost not included)
- Night at Hotel.
- Wake as you like.
- Free time until flight out or one more night (not included) or other activity
- Options – Whale watching, Museums, Blue Lagoon.