Spend the weekend camping and training with Overland Experts, Apex Overland and LFD Off-Road!
Friday, March 24: Evening arrival. Camping and community.
Saturday, March 25: 1-Day Fundamentals Class and progress into the Recovery Workshop. Q & A with Apex Overland and LFD Off-Road about vehicle builds, equipment, trips, and all things Overland.
Sunday, March 26: Recovery Workshop & Conclusion of the course.
We will be primitive camping at the Riverbend Campground. You will need to supply your own camping gear, food, etc.
1-Day Fundamentals: Providing a full day of foundation 4WD training, our Fundamentals Class is structured for those new to driving off-road. (Or even those just looking for a quick refresher!) While adhering to the principles of Tread Lightly, you will learn the OEX Five Systems Method of operating a four-wheel-drive vehicle, as well as the OEX Five Steps to Negotiating an Obstacle.
Recovery Workshop: Whether you drive a purpose-built rig or one of the many all-wheel-drive vehicles on the road today, one of our Recovery Workshop is the best way to learn about safe and effective vehicle recovery. You’ll spend a few hours in a group setting learning about and getting hands-on with recovery gear and technique. From traction “aids” to straps and ropes, pulleys, winches, and everything in between, you’ll better understand and use recovery gear in the most effective and safe manner possible to get your vehicle back on the road and back home.
Some of what you’ll learn:
- Recovery gear identification and use
- Static vs. kinetic recovery, its meaning, use, benefits, and pitfalls
- Winch use and safety, including hand signals, winch and line care/maintenance, steel vs. synthetic line, rigging (compound and a single line), and pulley use in both re-direct and mechanical advantage scenarios
- Traction aids (sand and bridging ladders/mats)
- The Hi-Lift Jack as a recovery tool; Its safe and proper use as a jack and come-along
- Gear choice and specification
This training event is one of our Two-day off-road driving classes. To learn more about it check out the Two-day off-road driving class page